As a holistic health and skincare brand that inspires happiness, I’m a passionate believer in taking care of your mind and body as carefully as we should our skin.
Sleepless nights really take their toll on our energy, mood, productivity, mental health and overall quality of health and life.
Stress and anxiety are two of the biggest culprits for causing insomnia, so it’s important to take time to ‘wind down’ at the end of every day: taking an evening bath soaking in gorgeous products, practicing yoga and drinking natural de-stressers such as chamomile tea are all great natural methods of aiding relaxation and deeper sleep, but did you know that certain plants can actually boost your sleeping pattern?
Plants have a natural calming effect, whilst purifying our indoor air from pollution, odors and molds which can effect our breathing. It’s well worth doing your homework before investing in new plants for your home, as some varieties can be toxic to children and pets.
These plants are great species to add to your bedroom:
- Lavender: one of the most well-known plants for inducing sleep and reducing anxiety, the lavender scent has been proven to lower blood pressure and slow down our heart rate.
- Jasmine: these exotic plants have a gentle and soothing effect on our mind and bodies, helping reduce anxiety leading to a higher quality sleep.
- Aloe Vera: one of my all-time favourite miracle plants, Aloe has been named by NASA as one of the top air-improving plants due to its ability to emit oxygen at night. For those of you who don’t have the best track record for keeping plants alive, Aloe Vera is your perfect match due to its low-maintenance requirements.
- Valerian: prescribed for centuries as a natural sleep inducer, simply inhaling the scent can help you fall asleep more quickly.
- Peace Lily: apart from being a beautiful accessory for any bedroom, the moisture given off by these flowers can increase a room’s humidity by 5% whilst suppressing airborne microbes which can cause allergies and symptoms including a dry nose and throat. Avoid this plant if you have children or pets, as they could be potentially harmful.
- Bamboo Palm: a natural air purifier, this magic plant helps rid your indoor air of airborne smells and toxins.
Check out NASA’s top air-purifying house and office plants in this blog. You may recognize some of the plants mentioned above as ingredients in some of my products. Find out why here.