‘Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food’
As we celebrate nutrition month and the sheer importance of eating well, I wanted to tell you why I’m as passionate about what we put into our bodies as what we put onto our skin. Our skin is a reflection of our diet, so it’s super important to ensure we’re eating pretty.
Here are a few of my all time favourite superfoods, which really help nourish our skin from the inside out for a smoother, clearer complexion.
- Tomatoes; a great defender of skin, tomatoes contain a superpower antioxidant called lycopene, which is fat soluble, meaning it’s absorbed more easily when consumed with fat such as eggs, olive oil and avocados
- Lemongrass tea; a superior detoxifying superhero that I always include in my morning ritual for its amazing detoxification abilities and superpowers which help to heal acne and skin infections from the inside out (which is why lemongrass is one of the key ingredients of my Natural Glow Cleansing Oil)
- Pomegranates; packed with polyphenol antioxidants, these delicious little beauties fight free radicals and regulate our skin’s blood flow. When applied to the skin, pomegranate moisturizes like a boss and helps smooth wrinkles.
- Oatmeal; when the less processed variety is ingested (Steel-cut), oatmeal retains more vitamins and takes longer to break down, helping to keep your blood sugar stable. Why is this important? Spiked blood sugar increases the level of androgens in your body, which is a hormone which contributes towards wrinkles. And we don’t want that!
- Strawberries; these delicious superheroes have more anti-aging vitamin C per serving than oranges or grapefruit, which is SO important because vitamin C fights free radicals, which can damage cells and break down collagen, leading to wrinkles; eek!
- Pumpkin; another wrinkle-fighting warrior that helps neutralize free radicals in the skin, helping prevent them from damaging skin cells and speeding up the aging process. Pumpkin seeds make a great fiber-filled snack, as well as the pulp being stuffed with skin-saving antioxidants which is why it’s one of many magical ingredients in my Biotech Suprême Pressed Serum
- Avocadoes; my absolute favourite superfood (in case you hadn’t guessed by now!) These superstars protect your skin from the environmental damage which causes fine lines, wrinkles and other visible and unwelcome signs of aging. Packed with high levels of antioxidant champion vitamin C, avocadoes help in the creation of elastin and collagen, which is vital in binding skin cells together in order to maintain firmness and structure
- Mangos; apart from being a sensory treat, this yummy superfood is packed with skin enriching vitamins, helping reduce oil production therefore acne. The vitamin E found in mangoes also aids skin growth and repair, and reduces fine lines. For these reasons, you’ll find mango seed butter in my Cream Suprême Moisturizer